What is the worst thing about Valentine’s Day?
The candy hangover.
I bet most of you, woke up super tired..and maybe with a headache. Obviously, candy isn’t so great for you.
So what can you do to make your body go back in tune?
That’s right, eat super healthy all day long (and don’t forget to do a little excersise).
Now what could you possibly eat for lunch or dinner tonight that deems healthy? (and no, pizza with veggies on it, doesn’t count).
How about Eggplant and Goat Cheese Bake?
2 medium eggplants (about 1½ pounds)
1⅓ pounds tomatoes
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying
¼ cup whole almonds, finely chopped
14 whole basil leaves
¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ pound semi-firm goat cheese
1. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Cut eggplant into ¼-inch-thick rounds and arrange in 1 layer on prepared pan. Lightly salt rounds, cover with a second sheet of parchment paper, and top with heavy pots to weigh down. Let sit at room temperature until liquid is released, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add tomatoes and cook for 20 seconds. Drain and immediately run under cold water for 5 seconds. Peel, seed and dice tomatoes; place in a medium bowl.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Pour mixture over tomatoes. Tear 2 basil leaves, add to tomato mixture and stir to combine; set aside.
4. Heat oven to 350°.
5. Remove parchment paper from eggplant rounds and pat rounds dry with paper towels. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Fill a large skillet with ½ inch oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, lightly coat both sides of eggplant with flour. Fry until golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
6. In an 8-x-12-inch baking dish, layer eggplant, tomato mixture and cheese, stacking layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of cheese. Bake until heated through, about 25 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with remaining basil leaves.
Unbaked, Eggplant and Goat Cheese Bake
So how healthy is it?
172 calories, 10 g fat, 284 mg potassium, 12% vitamin A
Now I know the eggplant is fried a bit, but you can grill it instead…it’ll just have a different flavor.